Thoughts on Bills/Titans
December 5, 2011 Leave a comment
Well, it was fun while it lasted. What started out as a fun and exciting season had it’s legs officially cut out from under it this Sunday with a 23-17 loss to the Titans and a 5th straight loss. The Bills dim playoff hopes were put out and if the Lions and Texans can both qualify for the playoffs than the Bills will have the longest playoff drought of any team in three sports (the MLB has a handful of teams that have gone longer). Either way it’s a disappointment and you need to wonder, once again, what exactly is next for this organization. Here are my thoughts on the disappointing game 12:
- I know Ryan Fitzpatrick has taken a lot of flak for his performance since he signed his contract extension but I think he is making the best of a bad situation. He’s trying to get everyone involved and he plays his ass off, whether he is playing poorly or playing well. The Bills just need to keep building around this guy.
- I remember a playmaker on the Jets named Brad Smith who used to make all of these plays when he played the Bills. I was wondering what happened to him. Good to see that guy show up in the last couple of weeks.
- C.J. Spiller had his best game as a pro yesterday. By far. Of course there was not much to go against but he really play and ran hard. You have to wonder what could have been had Corey McIntyre not been called for a hold on his TD run that was called back. Having 3 carries in the 2nd half didn’t help either.
- The offensive line hasn’t been terrible but they haven’t been as good with Eric Wood out of the lineup. Kraig Urbik tries hard but he’s just not as good.
- Another poor defensive effort in the first half by the Bills but a light seemed to go off in the second half. I’m hoping that it’s something that they can build on because it would be nice for these young guys to get some experience at being a good, solid unit before the re-group with the injured guys for next season.
- In the spirit of the above, Kelvin Sheppard looked to continue his brutal play from last week in the first half but seemed to play real strong in the 2nd half. He’s been inconsistent but his development is key to the future success of this defense. If he and Nick Barnett can make a formidable duo in the middle they can build out from there.
- Aaron Williams played well again before his injury. He’s going to be a player. I hope he can make it back before the end of the season. I think Justin Rogers has a lot of potential too. That news is welcome to Bills fans who are sick of the Bills drafting cornerbacks.
- Jairus Byrd is a beast. If the Bills can ever re-build this defense he might just be the centerpiece. He sets the pace for the whole defense.
- Chan Gailey had another day as inconsistent as the rest of the team. His play-calling has been sporadic. I think that they shy away from the run too much (seems like it’s been a trend for years for the Bills) and I can’ help but feel that the guys are not always in the best position to succeed. He gets a half of a pass to because the personnel is not exactly what he expected it to be but still we need to see a better game plan from Chan.
I haven’t got much more to add…I’m just hoping for a 7-9 season…8 would be nice but they way they are going it’s a long shot.